Someone Please Read this and Help

December 20, 2009

If you have ANY thoughts or suggestions for how I can help my daughter sleep, please comment or email me. I'm desperate.

Here's what she does...this is just one day for an example:

8am: nursed

8:40: swaddled, sang to her, lights off, fan on, put in bassinet

8:40-10: occasionally cried for no more than 5 minutes at a time and then stopped, each time I checked on her she was laying in her bed looking around...never slept

10am: Started screaming hysterically...I decided to just get her up since it had been over an hour. She was rooting around so I nursed her.

10:40am: swaddled, sang to her, lights off, fan on, put in bassinet...she started crying immediately

11:15am: had been crying off and on, eventually I went to get her because she was STILL awake

11:15-12: tried to rock her & other tactics...she would fall asleep for maybe 3 minutes at a time then wake up for a long period

12: nursed her again since she was wide awake and started screaming for food

1: she's still awake

Seriously, people. This isn't normal. Is there something I'm missing? She won't fall asleep. Oh, and I'm pretty sure that she's not in pain. She doesn't cry herself to sleep, won't be rocked to sleep, and isn't even really unhappy just WIDE awake/overtired. She's a fairly calm baby at this point aside from the fact that she won't fall asleep. Thank the Lord, she will sleep for a stretch at night (about 3-4 hours) before wanting to eat again every 2-2.5 hours. If you have any ideas for me, please email me or comment. I really am at a loss as to what to do here. Thanks.

6 comments:

  1. Golly! I'll pray for you. The only thought I had was to put her in a sling/baby carrier and try carrying her around most of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Katie, I'm so sorry. What about a pacifier? I know they talk about "nipple confusion" and what not, but I personally don't think they get confused. Gavin had no problems between nursing and the paci.....also had no problems getting rid of the paci when that time came! :) The sling is a good idea. Good luck. I will really be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you don't have much time these days, but you're welcome to call any time. I can tell you what I ended up having to do to help Zach. I know every baby is different, but it might help. I'm praying for you.

    I agree with Meghan though - have you tried swaddling her with a pacifier? Jen helped me to master that with Zach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear this Katie! I've had a little one like this too. And I'm going to tell you something that the Dr's don't like to talk about, but my babies will not sleep well unless they are on thier tummy. I slept all 4 of them on their tummies and they slept better every time. Of coarse I turned their little head to the side and checked on them, but that's what I did and I know LOTS of mom's who did the same thing because their little ones wouldn't sleep either.

    I pray you find something that works! And that you get rest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I work with someone who said the same thing Barbie said about tummy sleeping. His girls would NOT sleep on their backs and after hearing your story, I imagine they went through much the same thought/desperation process as you before they tried the tummy. Maybe try the paci and swaddle first though!? Best of luck and keep us posted. Praying for you Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie, I will be praying for you!!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete