Winning My Heart, One Potato at a Time

September 15, 2007

My husband most definitely knows how to bless me and make me fall in love with him all over again. What did he do this time? He not only went to the grocery store for me in search of things like "exactly two pounds of potatoes" and "ten ounces of pearl onions" and brought home each and every item on the list, he then helped me slice and chop it all. And he did it with joy, despite the fact that he is possibly even more tired than I am right now.

It made me think about how often I take for granted that God has blessed me with the best husband in the world and how much I lack the servant-mindset of Christ. Josh actually enjoys serving me; it's not a chore for him. I, on the other hand, can adopt a "martyr" mentality about serving him. I think I deserve some huge accolades if I actually keep the kitchen relatively clean and do a couple of loads of laundry for him. Not only do I think I deserve praise, I think I've done my quota and can't possibly be expected to do any more for the day. It's not an attitude of delighting in serving my husband like he delights in serving me. It's most definitely not the humble, outward-focused attitude of Christ, described in Philippians 2.

"Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross."

Even though this mindset is one that I am often far from possessing, I am blessed to have a husband who is modeling this for me daily. I don't want to take that gift for granted.

Thank you for the ways that you sacrificially serve me, Babe!

No comments:

Post a Comment