Adoption Guest Post: Bloom Where You Are Planted

March 11, 2016


Recently, one of my sweet families at Christian Adoption Consultants had the opportunity to share with their church community about the beginning of their adoption journey. Bryan and Laura are currently in the process of getting their home study completed and then I'll be walking them through the process of applying to various adoption agencies. I asked Laura if I could post a bit of what she shared in hopes that it encourages you as much as it did me!



Bloom Where You Are Planted by Laura
Everyone knows the phrase, “Bloom where you are planted.” It means to grow wherever you are. Let’s be honest, everyone wants to bloom in a beautiful garden, and feel they deserve that. What happens though if our garden is rocky, or maybe gets too much sun? The challenge is not to bloom in the perfect garden; it’s to bloom in whatever soil you find yourself. Although it’s not directly stated in the Bible, there are countless stories that encompass this theme. Specifically there is a passage in Jeremiah which says, ‘Build houses and settle down. Seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.’ For those of you who don’t know the story, these verses are a message to the people who have been forced into exile because of their King’s disobedient behavior. They are being punished for something they didn’t do and are full of despair. Then a message from God arrives and he tells them, I can make beauty from this mess; I can turn these ashes into hope. I can make your lives great if you follow me. He tells them to “Bloom where they are planted.” Even though they have been suffering, if they trust in him, and hope for their future they can turn this into a beautiful garden.

Most of us can relate because, at one time or another, we hope for something in spite of what seem like insurmountable challenges. For example, I hope for dirty diapers, for late night cries, and yes, even for those over the top temper tantrums, and in spite of some huge mountains, I know that someday soon I’ll be a mom.

On the day I was born, joy quickly turned to fear. As I was diagnosed with a complex heart condition, and within days of my birth, I had my first open heart surgery, and the life my parents dreamt for me was changed forever. They now had to bloom where they were planted, in a rocky garden, full of unknown weeds. They waited for me to wake up after surgery, instead of my cries waking them. My parents’ hopes changed from a healthy baby, to hope for more time with me.

Thankfully, God was on my side, and with the help of some incredible medicine and doctors, I stand before you today after two open-heart surgeries before the age of twenty. I never felt that my heart made me special, delicate, or even someone to be admired. To be quite honest, I never thought of much. I live a normal life. Naturally, I thought I could be a mom too. I thought since I faced enough problems, I was owed an unbelievable garden.

After numerous tests, arguments, and number crunching, it was decided that pregnancy was too big of a risk. It was more important for me to be a mother, than to experience pregnancy. I would happily trade nine months, for a lifetime with our baby. The question became how would we have a child?

Eventually, with our hope renewed we decided that we were being called to adopt. While the decision to adopt was easy, the path to our child is not. There are hoops to jump through, and a significant financial hurdle as well. As B and I continue down this path that leads to our child, we look forward with hope. We hope that you know how much your generosity, prayers, and support mean to us, and that we can never repay you.

Thinking back to the story in the beginning, it is important to note the next few lines. I’m positive you are familiar with them, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” After everything, God comes out at says, don’t worry; I know that you are afraid, but I promise that in the end, it’s going to be worth it.

B and I may not have chosen this garden, it may not have the best soil, best seeds, or the most knowledgeable farmers, but as God promised, we are making this place our home, watching his plan unfold, and blooming where we are planted. Thank you.

If you'd like to read more of Bryan and Laura's story, check out their blog.
---------------------------------------
For more information about domestic adoption, please contact me at katief@christianadoptionconsultants.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment