Marriage Retreat

February 18, 2009



Over the weekend, Josh and I were able to attend the "When Sinners Say I Do" marriage conference in Minnesota. The time was so rich with biblical truth, passionate worship, long car rides that provided ample time for conversation, and just the blessing of being with my hubby. I'm so glad that we were able to go.

There's much that I could share but one thing that really stands out to me as I consider the messages that we heard: sin and weakness in marriage are an opportunity for ministry. They are an opportunity to reflect the Gospel, especially the mercy of God that is seen best at the cross. Dave Harvey talked a lot about the fact that we, as sinners, are not receiving the wrath of God that we deserve. Because of our sin, we deserve to be separated from God forever in hell but because God is rich in mercy, even when we were dead in our sins, He chose to send Jesus to pay our penalty. What mercy! In light of all the mercy that we've been given by God, how could we not respond in mercy to our spouse or to our children or to our friends or even to our enemies?

I've just been reflecting on this truth tonight and wanted to pass it on. I'm so grateful for the mercy that God has shown me! Lord, help me be merciful to Josh in light of all the mercy that You've shown me.

Oh, and if you're married or about to be married and you've never read, "When Sinners Say I Do" by Dave Harvey, buy it! By God's grace, your marriage will be different as you seek to apply what you read. There's no other book on marriage that Josh or I would more highly recommend and no other book on marriage that has helped me more than this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment