Yes, I'm a Complainer. How Can I Change?

May 16, 2008

I'm a complainer. But I don't want to grumble, I want to honor the Lord by living a thank-based life. But how? How do I get from here to there?

"Rather than just saying to ourselves, 'I can't grumble anymore, and I'm not going to let any grumbling out of my mouth,' or just rending our garments, we need to rend our hearts. Begin with heart confession. Say before the Lord, 'Yes, Lord, I have had a complaint-based lifestyle. I want my life to be easy. I curse obstacles. I don't like moments of trust. I've tried to find life in the creation. I have forgotten my inclusion in the family of faith, and in Your presences, power, and grace.' " (pg. 52)

If we want to change, we must repent. As always, I wish there was a three step process for change and that it would take about 10 minutes and I'd be forever sanctified...but it doesn't work like that. Change takes time and it does take effort on our parts, though it ultimately happens by the power of the Holy Spirit. But it starts with honestly confessing to the Lord where we've sinned against Him and pleading for His help to change. And once we've done that, we can have faith that God will indeed help us grow in thankfulness! Why?

"'He was oppressed and afflicted, yet He did not open His mouth; He was led like a lamb to the slaughter, as a sheep before her shearers is silent, so He did not open His mouth (Is. 53:7).'

This is the hope of the gospel: Jesus refused to grumble, so that in your grumbling there would be forgivenesses. Isn't that precious? We ought to praise the Lord that Jesus wouldn't be a grumbler in His willingness to go silently to the cross. Embrace that hope. Jesus not only forgives: He delivers. He not only delivers: He reconciles. He not only reconciles: He restores. How can you move from a complaint-based lifestyle to a thank-based lifestyle? He has already provided everything you need for that." (pg.52)

Doesn't that just fill your heart with praise and thanks to our Savior?

2 comments:

  1. Great news! I am going to 'talk to myself' with that Isaiah verse. Very good reminder.

    Isn't providential that we continue to learn some of the same things at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! How VERY easy it is to get lazy with our hearts in this area.. and what a fight it truly is to overcome a complaining spirit!

    Thanks for your heart in being open and honest and for seeking to guide us in truth!

    ReplyDelete