More Than I Deserve

January 4, 2008


My wonderful husband and my cute son

There's this old Sandra McCracken song that I love about marriage and our relationship with Christ that sings again and again, "And this is more than I deserve." That refrain is what my heart is singing to the Lord again and again for the gift of my husband. To think that God has given me the gift of my husband, despite the fact that I am a wretched sinner, is a breath-taking picture of the love of God.

Josh simply goes above and beyond in the ways that he serves me, especially in this new season of caring for two babies. Since Owen was born, Josh is gladly asking me to wake him up at any hour to help change diapers and rock Owen back to sleep. He is taking time away from his own morning routine to get Tali out of bed and started in on her day. He is constantly asking me if there's any way that he can be serving me better or any way that I need more help. He's been doing all of the dishes, helping me with picking up the piles of toys around the house, and has taken numerous last minute trips to the grocery store. He is compassionate when I'm overwhelmed, speaks loving truth when I need corrected, and has been encouraging me to spend time with the Lord even when I feel there is no time available. That is only a sampling of how he has been blessing me. I am just so grateful for my husband!

The thing that strikes me the most about it all is that I don't deserve Josh. Really, I don't deserve Tali or Owen or this beautiful home we rent, or the incredible church that we are a part of. I don't deserve to be breathing this minute but God, in His mercy, has given me all of these gifts. None of them would be possible apart from Christ dying on my behalf. If not for His sacrifice, I would still be an enemy of God, an object of His righteous wrath. What I deserve because of my sin is hell, but God has given me a right relationship with God and the hope of heaven. How can I not praise Him for this gift and so many others?

Lord, thank you for giving me so much more than I deserve! Thank you, especially, for my husband.

2 comments:

  1. the abundance of His blessings is mind-blowing, amen? I am so happy for you and for all of your 'dreams' coming true!
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete