Looking to the Savior, not my Circumstances

April 10, 2008

In His kindness, the Lord has been showing me my need to turn away from the sin of unbelief and put my faith in His sovereign goodness. I am so quick to look at my circumstances of crying children, Owen in pain, lack of sleep, a messy house, many areas where I see that I'm falling short, etc. and become overwhelmed. The thought that often comes into my mind is, "I can't do this." Sometimes it seems completely impossible to me that I could have joy or peace in the midst of my circumstances. But, circumstances don't determine my response-my heart does. What's been in my heart lately is unbelief that God is going to give me grace and that He's being good to me. That, my friends, is sin and that is what is leading to me having the feeling of being overwhelmed.

As usual, it's my husband who God used to graciously help me see what's been going on here. He sympathized with me in the challenges, but also encouraged me to look at God in all of it and to think about what being faithful to God looks like right now. Oh. God? Hmm...I think I'd been too busy looking at myself to look at Him. (Thank you for your loving help, Josh!)

Not surprisingly, as I've looked up at Jesus instead of around me at my circumstances, I've been finding more peace and joy to endure with thankfulness to God. As I fight to set my mind "on things that are above, not on things that are on earth," (Col. 3:2) I am beginning to be filled with faith that God's grace is indeed, sufficient. My circumstances haven't changed, but my heart is beginning to.

Here's a really simple plan I'm praying through each morning to renew my mind:

TRUSTING IN GOD, TURNING FROM UNBELIEF

Lord, help me put to death an evil, unbelieving heart
“Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you and evil unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God.” - Heb. 3:12

  • If I'm not believing that God will give me grace, I'm sinning in unbelief
  • Unbelief is serious; it's a sin that Christ died for

Lord, help me to trust You, having faith that You will give me grace
“I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” - Philippians 4:13

  • Christ is strengthening me and through Him I can do whatever He calls me to today
  • He will give me all of the grace I need to care for my husband and children as I rely on Him


Lord, help me to put on thankfulness
“giving thanks to the Father who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light.” - Colossians 1:12

  • I have much more to be grateful for today than to complain about
  • I have been saved from God’s wrath and I am now His child!
  • My children are a blessing and an inheritance-a gift!
"May you be strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light." Colossians 1:11-12

3 comments:

  1. Katie -

    You are a compelling example of regularly and intentionally seeking to grow in your love for the Lord.

    It's a joy to watch you walk that out.

    with gratitude,

    Josh
    (President of the Katie Fenska fan club)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, babe. I think you mean, "President and only member of the Katie Fenska fan club). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a helpful way to pray through this. As one who regularly struggles in this way, I may adopt it myself. I can certainly tag my prayers--"used by permission of the KFFC." :)

    ReplyDelete