Why Can't Life be Like a Resort?

April 25, 2008

Yesterday, I shared about Paul Tripp's article, "Grumbling-A Look At A 'Little' Sin." Why do we complain? The first reason that Tripp gave was this: we want a life without obstacles. But, God is up to something when we face "roadblocks" in our day. God wants us to be conformed to the image of His Son, and trials are a big way that He accomplishes that work in us.

But why else do I complain? Tripp's next point is this: we want a life that doesn't ever require us to trust. We want to be capable in and of ourselves to face whatever comes our way, without needing God's help. Here's what Tripp says:

"God will cast us into situations where there's no hope for us but to trust Him, where we're beyond our strength and wisdom. Our hope is not that we will get our act together, but that a Redeemer has come and has filled us with His glory and grace."

My heart rebels against that. I don't want to have to rely on God's grace. I just want everything to be easy. I want to be able to do things in my own strength! When I'm in a situation where I know I'm too weak to handle it on my own, I want out of the situation. In my pride, I don't want to have to trust God! But...

"His grace is sufficient; His strength is made perfect in weakness. However, I am scared to death of the delusions of human strength that would keep me from relying on the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ. I'm not smart enough to parent my kids. I'm not wise enough to be a good husband. My life balances on a lively trust in the Lord who has come." (pg.49)

Amen. One huge reason that I complain is because I don't want to be in situations where I have to trust God. But in reality, I can't do anything in my own strength. I need His help for everything! My entire life is dependent on His grace.

Tomorrow, I'll share about the third reason Tripp gives for our complain-based lifestyles: we seek to find life in the creation rather than in the Creator.

No comments:

Post a Comment