We Need Each Other

April 19, 2008

Hebrews 3:13 says, "But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today,” that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin." This is a rich verse with tons to talk about but today I'm grateful for this point: we need to be exhorted because sin is deceptive. Sin deceives. And because sin is deceptive, we do not see our own sin clearly. We need the help of others to see our sin that we might not be hardened by the deceitfulness of it-that we might turn and live for Christ.

Today I am just so grateful for the way that my husband exhorts me every day to live for Jesus. He is so kind to speak the truth to me, "Be careful not to complain. God has been so good to us!" And he is faithful to do so even though it isn't always fun for me to hear. And to top that off, he's even faithful to do it at crazy hours of the day when I'm struggling w/being up with Owey.

I'm also grateful for the way that my friends encourage me and help me not to be deceived by my sin. I'm thankful for friends who ask questions like, "You might want to consider if you really are convicted about this in your heart. Do you just want this sin to go away or do you truly feel sorrow that this is something Christ had to die for?" Or, "Are you feeling hope for change or are you going down the road of condemnation?" I'm grateful for friends who pray for me when I call and for their prayers that are full of scripture to fight for faith.

I don't know where I would be apart from the help of others. Surely, I would be even more deceived by my sin. Thank you, friends and family, for your prayers for me, your encouragement, your words of truth spoken and emailed, your rebukes, and your reminders of Christ's work for me on the cross. I am grateful and I thank God for you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment